Lactation Consultants of Southern Africa (LACSA) is the professional organisation for Qualified Lactation Consultants in Southern Africa.
To enable families to reach their breastfeeding goals by the provision of evidence-based quality care and support.
To support and enhance the profession of Lactation consultants generally by:
- Providing regular professional discussion, development and peer support
- Lobbying the relevant bodies eg SAQA, Health professional council of SA, Medical Aid schemes
- Educating various health professions and the public regarding the role and scope of the Lactation Consultant.
Benefits of Membership
- Listing of qualified Lactation Consultants on the LACSA membership list and website
- Invitation to attend meetings of LACSA
- Promotion of Lactation Consultants as a stand-alone profession
- Training opportunities of both public and members
- Peer review and support
- Increased medical aid recognition
- Enhanced communication and networking among members
- Continuing Education Recognition Points - free for members!
- Free downloadable handouts for members only
Lactation consultants of Southern Africa (LACSA) is the professional organisation for Qualified Lactation Consultants in South Africa and Africa.
Lactation Consultants are members of the health care team who have a specialist knowledge of and primary focus on breastfeeding. They are the experts whom parents and other health professionals turn to when skilled assistance is required.With a focus on preventative health care, Lactation Consultants encourage self-care, empowering parents to make their own decisions, pre- and postnatally. Lactation Consultants use a problem solving approach to provide appropriate information, recommendations and referrals.
LACSA's vision is to enable women to reach their breastfeeding goals by provision of evidence-based, quality care and support. LACSA's logo consists of green circles representing a parent and baby's head with blue body support, partially enveloped by the words "Lactation Consultants of Southern & Africa".
The green colour represents the colour of life nature, energy, growth, harmony, safety and environment. The blue colour represents meanings of depth, trust, loyalty, sincerity, wisdom, confidence, stability, faith and intelligence. The neutral black wording represents strength, support, discipline, elegance and formality. The Lactation Consultants of Southern & Africa" wording partially enveloping the figure represents support, leaving space for parental self-care and self-decision making, ultimately increasing parental confidence and breastfeeding self-efficacy )the belief in ones's ability to succeed in a specific situation or accomplish a task).